Adorable and petite in size, small dogs are great pets. Though small in stature certain breeds have larger than life personalities and some have exceptional amounts of energy. Learn needs and traits of different breeds to consider which small dog will be a good match for you.
- Average Weight: 11-32 lbs., Miniature variety weigh less than the Standard variety
- Activity Level: MODERATE, does well in small homes and apartments, Enjoys exploring and scratching outdoors
- Grooming Needs: LOW to MODERATE, Clean ears monthly, short-coated brushed twice each year, Long-haired brushed weekly and occasional trims
- Personality: Daring, Playful, Adventurous, Friendly and Curious
- Temperament: Excellent watchdog, Long haired tend be quieter and wire-haired are more outgoing, Extremely bonded to owner, Good with kids in their own family, Can be aggressive around unfamiliar children, Fond of digging, chasing other animals and hunting, Great sense of smell
2 Bichon Frisé
- Average Weight: 12-18 lbs.
- Activity Level: MODERATE, Considered active, Needs daily exercise such as short walks and indoor play
- Grooming Needs: MODERATE to HIGH, Regularly brush and trim fluffy coat, Does not shed
- Personality: Friendly, Playful, Sensitive, Cuddly, Sweet
- Temperament: Tends to bark, Responds well to training, Good with children and other pets, Enjoys curling up and snuggling
3 Shih Tzu
- Average Weight: 9-16 lbs.
- Activity Level: MODERATE, Short bouts of indoor play daily and occasional walks
- Grooming Needs: MODERATE to HIGH, Brush long coat daily and trim monthly, Does not shed
- Personality: Outgoing, Trusting, Affectionate, Friendly and Happy
- Temperament: A companion dog by nature, Responds well to training, Excellent with children and other animals
- Average Weight: 3-7 lbs.
- Activity Level: LOW, Content with a short indoor play sessions and occasional short walks
- Grooming Needs: MODERATE, Brush thick double coat twice a week, Trim every 2 to 3 months
- Personality: Friendly, Outgoing, Gentle, Mellow, Cocky
- Temperament: Tends to bark, Great guard dog, Easy to train, Loyal to family, Good with children if introduced as a puppy
5 Boston Terrier
- Average Weight: 10-25 lbs.
- Activity Level: MODERATE, Loves to fetch, Enjoys playing both indoors and outside often, Does not respond well to extreme heat and are known to wheeze
- Grooming Needs: LOW, Remove dead hair from short coat with occasional brushing
- Personality: Playful, Sensitive, Friendly, Clever, and Lively
- Temperament: Some can be stubborn, but most respond well to training, Loves playing and being around people, Bonds well with children, Loves to chew so toys should be offered and personal items placed out of reach